S71 Town Hall #3: Curiosity Killed The Cat

Playoff Brackets, Pre-Season Over/Unders, In-Season Pick 'Ems will be posted here!

Moderators: Soundwave, ballsohard, WigNosy, IamQuailman, NOLa., Darth Vegito

MexicanMamba
PBSL Team: Clippers

S71 Town Hall #3: Curiosity Killed The Cat

Post by MexicanMamba » Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:10 pm

Since I'm running things, time to use this space for my own benefit. To earn this sim's point, help me fill time in a future podcast.

Come up with a fun or funny or interesting or quirky or whatever as long as it's thoughtful, question that you'd want to see answered in a pod this season. And since these answers are supposed to be longer than a sentence, tell me why you'd find your question interesting to answer.

Rules: 1 point if you give thoughtful answers, which I will award after the timer ends for responses. The timer ends for responses at the moment the corresponding week's Sim is run.

Note: Use approximately 5 sentences as your bare minimum for 1 point. If you write 3 long, complex sentences, you'll still get a point. If you write 5 3 word sentences, you will not get a point. Don't @ me.

Due: Sim 3 deadline.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

greepleairport
PBSL Team: Golden State Warriors

Re: S71 Town Hall #3: Curiosity Killed The Cat

Post by greepleairport » Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:48 pm

It seems to be a vet GM curse to start casually dropping hints of retirement time and again due to this that or the other thing, usually Pistons related. Do you think this is a good thing for the future of sim league? Do you care how it impacts sim league? Do you remember being a newb GM and hearing old hats say this?
I think this is a good question because from the mouths of the most respected GMs today, these sentiments are dropped. I always had an issue with it, because I found it to be a downer (and in itself a sim league killer), but now the people with whom I've grown are participants in this trend, and I just don't know how to feel about it. I'm sure some of the newer GMs would be curious as to why this is common discourse as well, because most of the new guys are having a blast trying to build baller teams that actually have a chance at winning. And that's fun as hell.
Somehow I manage.

garbageman
PBSL Team: Chicago Bulls

Post by garbageman » Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:33 pm

QUESTION: In such a weird season where it's assumed that the championship is already decided, there are a lot of teams that are going to make the playoffs with terrible teams. For every team with a losing record that is still in the playoff position, pick one that you think can turn their team into an actual contender and explain: how would you do it?

I think this is interesting because there's not a lot of reason to make win now moves right now, but there are a lot of teams that are kind of stuck in the middle, especially in the Omega Conference. With so many teams kind of in a holding pattern as they wait to see how things start to shake out, it's going to be harder than normal to make moves. Some of these teams are going to have to be playoff teams, and it probably makes sense for them to try and get better without jeopardizing their long term, post-Piston rebuild viability. Are any of these teams in a position to become actual, serious contenders?
ImageImage

Mike Lowry
PBSL Team: Miami Heat

Post by Mike Lowry » Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:43 am

What do people in your real life think about you participating in this league?

I know my own answer, and I know Jon's. Based on that knowledge I imagine some very entertaining stories coming from other GM's that share a lot about their home and family lives in the chat. I am absolutely sure some wives and children want to hit us over the head more than often when we're knee deep in trade talks for random cells in a database.
What cha gonna do

logpmess
PBSL Team:

Post by logpmess » Thu Aug 15, 2024 2:21 pm

If the season ended today, the Pistons would have a 250 point tax bill. He won't be able to maintain this for another year. What ways would you like to see Doug utilize to get all of these points?

I think it would give people ideas to come up with articles or podcasts for SIM league. It would hopefully bring in some fresh ideas and with the chance of getting out of Cap hell, it could be utilized as quickly as this current season.
Image Image

LazyTitanSmash
PBSL Team: Mavericks

Post by LazyTitanSmash » Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:32 pm

Someone needs to figure out how to punish people for going deep into the tax year after year and not paying their taxes right away. The point of the taxes is to punish teams that have unpaid taxes. It why we have the rule your not allowed to sign players if you have unpaid taxes.

The Spurs should lost Pee Wee Kirkland to free agency. Instead, they pick up another purple with more years on their contract. The Spurs were able to negate the primary punishment for having unpaid taxes. The same basic thing happened back in the day when the pistons 4 peat traded Jones for a player with more years left on there contract and even though they had unpaid taxes.

We need a solution to this problem.

Maybe, Hard Cap or Not allowed to trade if you have unpaid taxes. I don't like either of those ideas but what's the alternative. Please discuss on the Podcast.

K-100
PBSL Team: Memphis Grizzlies

Post by K-100 » Fri Aug 16, 2024 6:08 am

Q: Do you play any other fantasy sports? If so, would you participate in a league-wide fantasy league like football or baseball if one was created?

We spend various amounts of time here on sim basketball but would the same interest carry over into other sports? We tried one season of fantasy football during my GM tenure but it's been several IRL years since the last league was formed so just curious if other sports would drive the same interest nowadays. I think it would generate more engagement on the forum if other leagues were created so I'd be curious to hear your thoughts as to whether you would join or pass if another league was created, especially with football right around the corner.

AngryBanana
PBSL Team: Boston Celtics

Post by AngryBanana » Fri Aug 16, 2024 8:47 am

Instead of focusing on negatives related to sim, you said let’s s focus on the fun! What would your starting five be if it consisted of: one current player and then the other four being players of Lakers past? Same for cohost if you have one.

I think it’s a fun reminiscent thing to think about some of the players you had. Would you make the absolute best team that some people would think still could not beat the current pistons? Would you go sentimental and pick players you had for a long time? Or would it be a mix of the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDaddyd8720
PBSL Team: Pelicans

Post by BigDaddyd8720 » Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:49 am

Mainly for newer GMs, but what advice can you give to a GM when his team is finally starting to come together (or at least looks like it’s starting to come together)

Most of the bets understand the process of what it takes to get to the playoffs and then be consistent for years before they start the rebuild, but for newer GMs, how can they overcome complacency? How aggressive do they need to be? I know for fantasy football the goal is to always make your team better so how should one go about that? Do they say “I have a good young team let’s just roll with it?” Or would you suggest making the big splash early in the run?

pennpanther1
PBSL Team: Toronto Raptors

Post by pennpanther1 » Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:52 am

What 12 players would make up the Sim League Olympic USA Team?

Now that the Olympics are wrapped up, if Sim League had its own version who represents Sim USA? I like this question because I'm curious how the podcast hosts would assemble their super team. I think there is so much talent in the league now that you cannot go wrong, but I like hearing others discuss their strategy as to what makes for an effective squad. I think I could use some pointers in developing my own team here in Toronto too. Plus, it is a fun way to give a shoutout to players that others in the league may not notice on a day-to-day basis.

MexicanMamba

Post by MexicanMamba » Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:14 pm

Talk about your top 1-3 trades that you've completed that you really regret with the benefit of hindsight.

I think that learning from sim mistakes is incredibly valuable, so this question would lead to plenty of self-reflection and evaluation. Also, it's another step in learning from people's viewpoints on the game itself, which is invaluable when trying to complete trades and bid against others in free agency.

Eazy P
PBSL Team:

Post by Eazy P » Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:27 pm

LazyTitanSmash wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:32 pm
Someone needs to figure out how to punish people for going deep into the tax year after year and not paying their taxes right away. The point of the taxes is to punish teams that have unpaid taxes. It why we have the rule your not allowed to sign players if you have unpaid taxes.

The Spurs should lost Pee Wee Kirkland to free agency. Instead, they pick up another purple with more years on their contract. The Spurs were able to negate the primary punishment for having unpaid taxes. The same basic thing happened back in the day when the pistons 4 peat traded Jones for a player with more years left on there contract and even though they had unpaid taxes.

Maybe, Hard Cap or Not allowed to trade if you have unpaid taxes. I don't like either of those ideas but what's the alternative. Please discuss on the Podcast.
WE SHOULD PUNISH TEAMS THAT SEND TRASH ASS OFFERS

I was deep in the tax when I got a Tony Newland offer from you.

10 points for Newland.
Last edited by Eazy P on Fri Aug 16, 2024 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jedihero
PBSL Team: Nuggets

Post by Jedihero » Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:48 pm

Because this would apply directly to me..

Q: After a few seasons competing and having been in tax. What would be the best ideal method to restart a team? What would you look for in trading away players? How would you approach the following season with your DC? Would you just try rack up picks, or trade for young talent?

I think multiple GMs have their own recipes for success and being a newer GM that came into a competing team this would be my first go at a full reset. Interested to see how people would usually approach this.

MexicanMamba

Post by MexicanMamba » Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:51 pm

Jedihero wrote:Because this would apply directly to me..

Q: After a few seasons competing and having been in tax. What would be the best ideal method to restart a team? What would you look for in trading away players? How would you approach the following season with your DC? Would you just try rack up picks, or trade for young talent?

I think multiple GMs have their own recipes for success and being a newer GM that came into a competing team this would be my first go at a full reset. Interested to see how people would usually approach this.
Author's note: I wrote an article detailing some of this last season

Black Superman
PBSL Team: Suns

Post by Black Superman » Fri Aug 16, 2024 3:08 pm

Since I think I would be the one doing the podcast with you....or I could be wrong. But regardless.

Do you feel like sim league is a chance for you to be someone else? Maybe others don't know know this about you. But you're very much into horror dress up aka cosplay. I know that, the horror season is a chance and opportunity for you to become someone else. I'm just curious if you run your lakers team the same way? A chance to be a little different than you are by nature. My example which is more so an observation. I've been around for about 20 seasons. And in those 20 seasons, most of the time. You have been a very aggressive forward player in this game. You in real life are way more reserved and quiet. Seems like MexicanMamba is an alternate ego.
This is your captain speaking

IamQuailman
PBSL Team: Milwaukee Bucks

Post by IamQuailman » Fri Aug 16, 2024 3:12 pm

Why are the Wizards and their success over past seasons consistently ignored in the Sim League Chats/Channels?

Everyone is so worried about the Pistons that they are ignoring the incredible job that Xist has done in building his team and putting together a contender. WITH NO PURPLES TOO. His defensive strategies with his team are fantastic. Really great job of putting together not only top tier defenders, but also people who can score the ball. And please don't give me BS about his conference being ass. That's a slap in Xist's face, and he deserves all the praise he should get.
ImageImageImageImage

RPF
PBSL Team: Brooklyn Nets

Post by RPF » Fri Aug 16, 2024 3:18 pm

Eazy P wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:27 pm
LazyTitanSmash wrote:

10 points for Newland.

MexicanMamba

Post by MexicanMamba » Fri Aug 16, 2024 3:26 pm

IamQuailman wrote:Why are the Wizards and their success over past seasons consistently ignored in the Sim League Chats/Channels?

Everyone is so worried about the Pistons that they are ignoring the incredible job that Xist has done in building his team and putting together a contender. WITH NO PURPLES TOO. His defensive strategies with his team are fantastic. Really great job of putting together not only top tier defenders, but also people who can score the ball. And please don't give me BS about his conference being ass. That's a slap in Xist's face, and he deserves all the praise he should get.
I mean, he's in our conference

greepleairport

Post by greepleairport » Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:06 pm

Eazy P wrote:
LazyTitanSmash wrote:

10 points for Newland.
Best clap back ever

Somehow I manage.

greepleairport

Post by greepleairport » Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:07 pm

Black Superman wrote:Since I think I would be the one doing the podcast with you....or I could be wrong. But regardless.

Do you feel like sim league is a chance for you to be someone else? Maybe others don't know know this about you. But you're very much into horror dress up aka cosplay. I know that, the horror season is a chance and opportunity for you to become someone else. I'm just curious if you run your lakers team the same way? A chance to be a little different than you are by nature. My example which is more so an observation. I've been around for about 20 seasons. And in those 20 seasons, most of the time. You have been a very aggressive forward player in this game. You in real life are way more reserved and quiet. Seems like MexicanMamba is an alternate ego.
Love this ?, would love to guest on pod to answer

Somehow I manage.

greepleairport

Post by greepleairport » Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:07 pm

IamQuailman wrote:Why are the Wizards and their success over past seasons consistently ignored in the Sim League Chats/Channels?

I memed the opposite of this and I think you’re still the jelly gf

Somehow I manage.

greepleairport

Post by greepleairport » Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:08 pm

RPF wrote:
Eazy P wrote:
LazyTitanSmash wrote:

10 points for Newland.
MOTY in wrong thread

Somehow I manage.

LazyTitanSmash
PBSL Team: Mavericks

Post by LazyTitanSmash » Fri Aug 16, 2024 8:03 pm

:roll:
greepleairport wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:08 pm
RPF wrote:
Eazy P wrote:

10 points for Newland.
MOTY in wrong thread

You guys are right. Let's stop punishing people for not paying their taxes, and start punish people for offering max points to team with unpaid taxes. :roll:

IamQuailman
PBSL Team: Milwaukee Bucks

Post by IamQuailman » Fri Aug 16, 2024 8:07 pm

LazyTitanSmash wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 8:03 pm
:roll:
greepleairport wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:08 pm
RPF wrote:
MOTY in wrong thread

You guys are right. Let's stop punishing people for not paying their taxes, and start punish people for offering max points to team with unpaid taxes. :roll:
I’ll take max points for Jeske
ImageImageImageImage

MexicanMamba

Post by MexicanMamba » Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:42 am

+1
Quail
Black Superman
Jedi
Mamba
Penn