Charlotte Bobcats Inaugural Pre-Season Press Conference

Pump up your team to the media with your Pre-Season Press Conference!

Moderators: Soundwave, ballsohard, WigNosy, IamQuailman, NOLa., Darth Vegito

Darth Vegito
PBSL Team: New Orleans Pelicans

Charlotte Bobcats Inaugural Pre-Season Press Conference

Post by Darth Vegito » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:09 pm

Darth Vegito walks in and sits behind the table set up with a few microphones. The room is full of reporters. One could drown in reporters there are so many. Darth doesn't flinch. He has done this many times before. This is child's play to one of the greatest GMs of all time. This would be his third team he will try to steer to the promised land. After a hugely successful stint with the Dallas Mavericks winning two championships, he took a small break from the league. He then came back and wanted a challenge. He wanted to bring a championship to a city that deserved one so he took the Seattle SuperSonics job and after only a half of season of taking over the team with the worst record in PBSL history, he turned them into a 50 win team. But his impatience caught him again and the team could not get over the hump. He finally decided to rebuild the right way. The way he never had before...thru the draft. Then started a FIVE year rebuild. It was exhausting for Darth and once again, he could not wait. He flipped all of his young assets for one of the most dominating defensive teams in PBSL history. He had the best record in the league for those two seasons, although fizzled in the 2nd round of the playoffs in embarrassing fashion both years. Darth had failed. This took a toll and he started another rebuild yet didn't have the heart to see this one thru either. He decided to take a sabbatical and breathe a bit. But the itch ALWAYS RETURNS.

Darth finally stops whispering into the microphone as if no one knows it's him.

Darth: Hey guys! SO many familiar faces in this crowd. So I know you have a ton of questions so I'll try not to talk for too long. Let me just start by saying that THIS opportunity...THIS one in particular is special. This is the league's first and probably only expansion team ever. This is special. Of all people, I get to be the privileged GM to start this great team and city off. I want everyone to know right away though...we will truly have to come from the bottom up. It will NOT be eazy. By no means will this be eazy. But nothing is ever eazy in this life. Despite the challenges you will not see us play the victim here in Charlotte. It will take time but we expect excellence from our guys and that includes myself.

We landed the 4th overall pick in the draft and started this journey with a young man out of Air Force named Damion McNary. This kid WILL be special. He has already shown his work ethic and determination to get better and the season hasn't even started. This will be a rough season. There will be many rough seasons, but if we follow thru with our plan and build this team the proper way, the Charlotte Bobcats will experience greatness in ways unimaginable. On another note, I want to point out that it was not by chance that I have reunited with one of my favorite players and good friends in Danny Granger. Danny would you like to say a few words?

Danny Granger: Hey everybody. It is an honor to be here. When I got the phone call that Darth was selecting me in the expansion draft I was ecstatic. To come back and play for the man that drafted me as I finish out my career is simply amazing. And we're not talking about any ol GM here. It's Darth Fryeing Vegito. He's a legend, an icon, a star. And now I get to help teach these young guys. I couldn't ask for a better ending to my career.

Darth: And a great career it was Danny, a great one indeed.

Danny: Oh Darth stop, you're too much.....I was joking please keep going.

Darth: Annnnd that will wrap up this press conference. Anyone have any questions? Feel free to ask!

78#
PBSL Team:

Re: Charlotte Bobcats Inaugural Pre-Season Press Conference

Post by 78# » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:32 pm

Two questions. With your history of success in this league, how patient will you be in not rebuilding this team, but just building a team?

Also, this city had to deal with the stink of the Hornets for many years in this league only to see them leave. Do you feel you can eventually remove the stink or is it too much for any city to deal with?
Image Image

Darth Vegito

Post by Darth Vegito » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:48 pm

78# wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:32 pm
Two questions. With your history of success in this league, how patient will you be in not rebuilding this team, but just building a team?

Also, this city had to deal with the stink of the Hornets for many years in this league only to see them leave. Do you feel you can eventually remove the stink or is it too much for any city to deal with?
These are great and fairly difficult questions to answer. To be honest I don't think I've ever seen a rebuild thru, so to see this thru, an actual build from scratch, will take every bit of self discipline. But I am confident I can do it. I think it's because I have no pressure. And this rolls into your 2nd question, but this city has seen horrible basketball for so long what's another few years. At least the fans have something to hope for now. They have a new team, new players, and a GM with actual championships. The hope is alive in Charlotte and every day we will be scrubbing the stench off this franchise.

PaulyP
PBSL Team: Indiana Pacers

Post by PaulyP » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Jon Snow, Westerosi Sports Network - 2 questions

First lets discuss your time away from the game, you've been out of a job since the 2011 season, how did you spend your unemployment?
And second, do you think that theres gonna be some rust for you in terms of building a squad and a gameplan, it seems to us that the quality of GMs and teams has improved since the last time you were in charge, are you ready for the tough Sim League season grind?
Pacers Ring of Honor
P.Ewing (90-93, 98) - R.Pierce (90-91) - S.Augmon (91-96) - D.Brown (93-96) - D.Strong (91-97, 99-02) - P.Pierce (98-05, 12-13) - D.Williams (05-17) - I.Shumpert (11-16) - D.Dedmon (13-18) - J.Williams (19-25, 31-32)

WigNosy
PBSL Team: Atlanta Hawks

Post by WigNosy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:25 pm

Can you address the rumors about "rubber checks" and "commissioner's office" and "send him West if this isn't resolved?"
ImageImageImageImage

garbageman
PBSL Team: Chicago Bulls

Post by garbageman » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:15 am

Sham Smith, Bulls.com: An expansion draft isn't the greatest way to shore up long-term talent, but are there any players you drafted that look like they could be part of the Bobcats building process?
ImageImage

LoCo89
PBSL Team: Steward

Post by LoCo89 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:40 am

Jean Baptiste Étienne, of La Révolution de Vancouver (Memphis Branch), obviously, most of this is old hat for you. But If you can, walk us through that first call you made as Bobcats GM. Did the juices start flowing again immediately? Or did it take some time to get really into the groove of things?
Sent via carrier pigeon named Robbie

Inner_GI
PBSL Team:

Post by Inner_GI » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:28 am

If the questions in the presser are answered before Wednesday's sim I'll give the full 5 points

Darth Vegito

Post by Darth Vegito » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:52 pm

PaulyP wrote:Jon Snow, Westerosi Sports Network - 2 questions

First lets discuss your time away from the game, you've been out of a job since the 2011 season, how did you spend your unemployment?
And second, do you think that theres gonna be some rust for you in terms of building a squad and a gameplan, it seems to us that the quality of GMs and teams has improved since the last time you were in charge, are you ready for the tough Sim League season grind?
I don't foresee in terms of being a gm, but as far as players in the league go, it's like a new league to me. I need to get reacquainted with these teams and players.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Darth Vegito

Post by Darth Vegito » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:53 pm

WigNosy wrote:Can you address the rumors about "rubber checks" and "commissioner's office" and "send him West if this isn't resolved?"
I think you'll have to send that question to Darth Pedro sir. I know nothing.

Inner_GI
PBSL Team:

Post by Inner_GI » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:57 pm

Darth, you can claim 5 points for your presser.

Darth Vegito

Post by Darth Vegito » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:57 pm

garbageman wrote:Sham Smith, Bulls.com: An expansion draft isn't the greatest way to shore up long-term talent, but are there any players you drafted that look like they could be part of the Bobcats building process?
Yeah, I see ppl saying how the plan was to draft bad players. Those ppl apparently didn't look at the draft. It was an awful pool and no collection of that garbage would win games. That being said, there was one player in Muscala, who I think could turn into a solid bench guy. And maybe Dieng, we'll see how improvement goes.

Darth Vegito

Post by Darth Vegito » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:00 pm

LoCo89 wrote:Jean Baptiste Étienne, of La Révolution de Vancouver (Memphis Branch), obviously, most of this is old hat for you. But If you can, walk us through that first call you made as Bobcats GM. Did the juices start flowing again immediately? Or did it take some time to get really into the groove of things?
It did take some time, still taking time. But I'll get back in the groove soon. The activity in this league right now is phenomenal, I love it.

Darth Vegito

Post by Darth Vegito » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:01 pm

Inner_GI wrote:Darth, you can claim 5 points for your presser.
Thank you sir, that was close!

Return to “Pre-Season Press Conferences”