S71 Town Hall #1: Off-season Grades

Playoff Brackets, Pre-Season Over/Unders, In-Season Pick 'Ems will be posted here!

Moderators: Soundwave, ballsohard, WigNosy, IamQuailman, NOLa., Darth Vegito

MexicanMamba
PBSL Team: Clippers

S71 Town Hall #1: Off-season Grades

Post by MexicanMamba » Sun Aug 11, 2024 4:57 pm

With the off-season coming to an end, let's evaluate. First, grade your own off-season. Second, pick another GM you felt had an A off-season and tell us why.

Rules: 1 point if you give thoughtful answers which I will award after the timer ends for responses. The timer ends for responses at the moment the corresponding week's Sim is run.

Note: Use approximately 5 sentences as your bare minimum for 1 point. If you write 3 long, complex sentences, you'll still get a point. If you write 5 3 word sentences, you will not get a point. Don't @ me.

Due: Sim 1 deadline.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Mike Lowry
PBSL Team: Miami Heat

Re: S71 Town Hall #1: Off-season Grades

Post by Mike Lowry » Sun Aug 11, 2024 5:22 pm

I'll give myself a B -.
I mostly got done what I wanted to do without overwhelmingly improving my team.
I probably should have seen the Herschal Gilmore fiasco coming, cause he's a Frye!n B!]CH!!!
But I didn't like Blaze as a defensive liability.
Aside from that things went smooth.
I really like Schoenfeld, and Plowden was the best available when it came time to pick.
We picked up Jaylen Forbes and a few nice vet mins as depth pieces.

As far as another team doing well,
I've been impressed by Penny and the Raptors.
I think they're a floor general away from contending for the title.
What cha gonna do

K-100
PBSL Team: Memphis Grizzlies

Post by K-100 » Sun Aug 11, 2024 9:11 pm

I'll give myself a C+. I managed to get the Blazers and Hawks to pay full price on their RFAs and retained Looney and Kaminga during UFA but I swung and missed on a lot of talent this offseason so it was not the best offseason for the team's development.

I really like the Pacers' moves this offseason. They managed to acquire Safi and Amos for pennies on the dollar and retained Herb Jones who will likely retire a Pacer now. The team started off hot last season, and I think they can rinse and repeat this season to make some noise in the division and conference. Nice job Pauly.

garbageman
PBSL Team: Chicago Bulls

Post by garbageman » Sun Aug 11, 2024 10:08 pm

I'm happy with my offseason, so I'll give myself an A-. I don't think I've ever flipped a roster so fully and successfully. From trades alone, I sent out:

Mac McClung
Jalen Hood-Schifino
Safi Fino-A-Laself
Saul King
Trey Murphy III
Brandon Ingram (S&T)

and got back:
3 blue pot rookie contracts
2 green pot rookie contracts
3 picks with lotto potential
25 points
A ton of cap space and a reset year
Gary Rockwell

I thought it was a weak UFA class aside from all the top guys who were auto-resigning with the Pistons but was able to sneak Booger Smith, resign some important bird rights guys, and get Bud Rivera back for a very moveable price. TC was a little bit of a disappointment but not a disaster.

As for another GM who had an A offseason? Honestly, it's hard to say. Raptors and Pacers have already been mentioned, and there weren't a ton of standout offseasons...mostly small incremental moves. The Nuggets did a smart job of getting out of the tax, but there's still a ways to go to fully rebuild. The Lakers made some big swings, so I'd definitely put them up there. I think they can give the Pistons a run for their money, but I wish TJD was further along in his development because that frontcourt is young.
ImageImage

Jedihero
PBSL Team: Nuggets

Post by Jedihero » Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:35 am

Of course I'm gonna tell myself that I made an A offseason grade. I got rid of a big contract before TC and then he immediately died, Sorry about that, but that's a W for me, and pure profit and I signed him from UFA and put no points into him. I am also able to get under the hard cap number if I cut a couple more vet mins which was my main goal. So I accomplished almost everything I needed to this offseason. A.

Another GMs offseason I want to point out is the Pelicans. They made a move for Kofi, who I love and is a solid piece from my team the last few seasons. They have been slowly building up their team and finally look to be in a spot to push for the playoffs. They also has Longar Longar push to purple pot in TC. Even though hes still Green current, that will be great for them in the coming years and good start to really build around.

pennpanther1
PBSL Team: Toronto Raptors

Post by pennpanther1 » Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:25 pm

Solid B+

I really liked how aggressively I approached this offseason. I had a bad taste in my mouth after blowing a 3-1 lead against the Spurs so I wanted to try again and we managed to bring everyone back (even though it was expensive). I still have work to do and need to build a good gameplan but I'm excited about this team's potential.

I think the Pistons did a great job upgrading their "weakest" position with their acquisition of Kel'el Ware. The rich got richer but it just motivated the rest of the league to step up and try to compete. I love it.

PaulyP
PBSL Team: Indiana Pacers

Post by PaulyP » Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:44 pm

I'd go B for my work in the offseason. As mentioned above by K-100, the Safi and Amos trades didnt cost much and then I just re-signed my own guys to provide depth with Herb's contract being the subject of some internal discussion. The low degree of difficulty and the overall age of the acquisitions are what drags my personal grade down from a B+ to a B

As for others I dont think theres any obvious standouts that havent already been mentioned. I guess by default the answer is Detroit for doing what they had to do to bring their team back
Pacers Ring of Honor
P.Ewing (90-93, 98) - R.Pierce (90-91) - S.Augmon (91-96) - D.Brown (93-96) - D.Strong (91-97, 99-02) - P.Pierce (98-05, 12-13) - D.Williams (05-17) - I.Shumpert (11-16) - D.Dedmon (13-18) - J.Williams (19-25, 31-32)

IamQuailman
PBSL Team: Milwaukee Bucks

Post by IamQuailman » Mon Aug 12, 2024 2:53 pm

I would give myself an A, mainly because everyone who needed to come back came back. We shipped out Dawes for Ware who lost his P but still is an upgrade over Dawes. We lost Marotta which sucks but is not the end of the world. The bench pieces we have aren’t world beaters, but they are long and fit the system we have in place here in Detroit.

I would give the Pacers an A offseason. I really liked their approach of adding proven talent for cheap before bringing home the big dawg. Great job by Pauly!
ImageImageImageImage

MexicanMamba

Post by MexicanMamba » Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:09 pm

I'm going with a B-

I'm taking off an entire grade for myself right off the bat for being dumb enough to purposely get into taxes while knowing the furthest I'm about to get is the conference finals, if fortunate. Then the other half a grade gets knocked cause I was doing stupid math and flubbed trying to unlock the MLE ahead of free agency. The moves that I DID make were for A caliber players, because Mac McClung, AJ Blaze, and Tony Newland are absolutely ballers. In a more typical offseason, thats cause to believe in a possibly championship run.

An offseason I liked a lot (A-) was the Pelicans. Though he couldn't have known when making the trade, Kofi ended up being a steal after a decent TC bump. Longar Longar also went purple in TC and their other youngster are mostly ready to contribute. It's a mix of now and later that kind of works. I only drop the A to A- because I do feel that Ramos was overpaid though it's not a salary destroying contract at this point, so, not a massive issue.

AngryBanana
PBSL Team: Boston Celtics

Post by AngryBanana » Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:19 pm

I’d give myself a C probably. I think I made some good moves to pivot based on last seasons moves. I got a more complimentary core to go with Lew and Cottrill who so far looks to be a decent addition. Idk, I’ve talked about the negatives in my presser I’ll post in a second, but I did about as best as I could all things considered. The negatives were mostly due to Lady Luck.

The team I’ll highlight are the bastard Bulls. They did an outstanding job flipping their team around. They managed to get their older roster built around Mac to be rebuilt with a lot of younger players and got points out of it too. I’m excited to see how Dyson plays too now that he has grown some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greepleairport
PBSL Team: Golden State Warriors

Post by greepleairport » Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:58 pm

I'll give myself a B+ for my offseason moves. It was a stellar offseason all things considered, but nothing changed besides acquiring Jason Marotta. I was hoping to pick up one more longer term player, which I was not able to do. Still working on that one actually, much to my lux tax's chagrin... But I had phenomenal TCs for my Big 3 so I really cannot complain.

Getting a town hall in so close to the deadline, though, I can't think of anyone who has not already been mentioned that I thought had a great offseason. I loved the Pacers acquiring Safi and Amos. The Bulls moved their pieces like they were hot and got a crazy return on McClung specifically. The Lakers wheeled and dealt a bit and look better than last year. The Raps made some big, consequential trades that I like, making them more fierce competition than last year, and the Suns got out there and got Samples and Ingram, too, which really boosted their depth (not to mention solid, cheap FA signings in Todd Correa and Michael Truman).

Truly, though, there's only one real winner here, and it's the Pelicans for pushing thru a clearly illegal rename, Amillion Buggs.
Somehow I manage.

greepleairport
PBSL Team: Golden State Warriors

Post by greepleairport » Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:59 pm

greepleairport wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:58 pm
Truly, though, there's only one real winner here, and it's the Pelicans for pushing thru a clearly illegal rename, Amillion Buggs.
HOly hell, i stand corrected. wow.
Somehow I manage.

LazyTitanSmash
PBSL Team: Mavericks

Post by LazyTitanSmash » Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:03 pm

I'll give myself a C-. For two reasons: First, I was unable to send my MLE money on anything worthwhile. UFA screwed me again. I picked up Phil for contract purposes to tie to assets. I either pair him with 10 points, a rookie contract, a draft pick, or something like that. He still hasn't been moved, so that's a problem.

I never found a Center. I'm not even sure I'm have a legitimate backup Center.

Mamba - A+. He's been quickly capitalizing his team, by making killer trades. I watched his trades carefully. He has built a killer team with all positions covered. They are young and but also close to being dominant now. The Blaze trade was key to being successful this season. He split the two assets I sent him for Funk, and got Blaze and Tony Newland. Also, upgrading PG was a nice move. If TJD is ready, this team will be headed straight for the Pistons.

logpmess
PBSL Team:

Post by logpmess » Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:04 pm

I give myself a B. I needed to get better players to accompany Quick. I added Daniel Johnson, who has a high inside game and 3 point rating to accent Quick. I also drafted Keever, who can be a starter once developed. It also helped the quick development of both Keever and Primo Spears. Although not a lot of moves, sometimes player developmen is best for a team.

The team that sticks out the most as getting an A this offseason is the Bulls. They were selling like crazy to readjust under the cap. They brought in the most capital per move than I have seen in a very long time. Typically, teams that are rebuilding to get below the cap are going to be horrible the next year. I see the Bulls contending for the division.
Image Image

jlmarines
PBSL Team: Cavs Believeland

Post by jlmarines » Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:14 pm

I'll go with a B-. I was able to keep most of my starters. Also, I was able to train my players. Even though, my starting 5 are similar from last season, my starters are actually much better overall.

I was able to find solid green players that will help my depth. The reason I didn't five myself a higher grade was because I lost a few bids that would have help me on the defensive side. I have sold Center, however he is not elite. I think that's my main weakness.

Overall, I expect a solid season for the Cavs.

MexicanMamba

Post by MexicanMamba » Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:42 pm

+1

JLMarines
Logpmess
Titan
Greeps
AB
Mamba
Quail
Pauly
Penn
Jedi
Garbageman
K100
Lowry

Black Superman
PBSL Team: Suns

Post by Black Superman » Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:02 pm

I was going to do this before doing commish duties but saw it was due sim 2. Only to come back and see that it's closed and graded. Kewl, nice fuc k over
This is your captain speaking

MexicanMamba

Post by MexicanMamba » Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:19 pm

Black Superman wrote:I was going to do this before doing commish duties but saw it was due sim 2. Only to come back and see that it's closed and graded. Kewl, nice fuc k over
HmImage

Black Superman
PBSL Team: Suns

Post by Black Superman » Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:02 pm

Because it stated by sim 2 that is what I am going off of. Make check out to Black Superman.

The grade I would give myself is B+. I made a few moves that all were helpful to make a final run at dethroning the pistons. The first is, I was able to resign Wemby. The next move was how do I get more talent into Phoenix with no cap space. Well I used my MLE very well and secured 2 players with it. 1 in Truman for point guard duties. The other chunk of MLE was used to secure Todd Correa and to a long term deal. Todd has 100 inside and 92 block. The last big move I made was bringing in Brandon Ingram from the bulls. Another wing to attack and give the pistons wings all they can handle. My only failure, and why I'm giving myself a B+. I was unable to secure a big time point guard. So we'll do it by committee again.

I'll give the pistons an A+++. I mean as the best team in the league, they managed to resign all of the best players in the league. They even managed to steal Trayce Jackson -Davis in RFA. Even if it were only for 3.2 seconds. I mean doing a deal to get Ware as already the best team in the league is pretty amazing. All it took was a team not looking to compete to offer up it's best player for a below average center. Great work by the Pistons. I think the best thing they did was spew a soliloquy about how they did it because they weren't going to get all 3 guys to resign 🤣. Best lie ever told, but hey it's been effective. They managed to recruit a sidekick in the process of a 500M unpayable tax bill.
This is your captain speaking

MexicanMamba

Post by MexicanMamba » Tue Aug 13, 2024 6:45 am

I accidentally did write in Sim 2 instead of sim 1, so, if anyone else needs an extra point, you can still do this one until tomorrow too.

Eazy P
PBSL Team:

Post by Eazy P » Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:29 pm

I give myself an F. Only reason it isn't a F minus is because my team had the 2nd best overall TC. My team didn't do much of anything. Well trade away Tony Newland but thats about it. No major moves or signings here in SA. Maybe things will get better 10 seasons from now once the pistons run is over.

Team that did well was the pistons. They basically brought back all of their key guys and then added Ware into the mix. Ware is still probably the best big in the league and now being teamed up with those players on that squad makes them great on both ends.

MexicanMamba

Post by MexicanMamba » Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:08 pm

+1

Nate
Carlos

Return to “Sim Vegas”